School Readiness (Pre-K)
HCS School Readiness Department
The School Readiness Department works to ensure that Pre-Kindergarten students have access to a high-quality, developmentally appropriate learning environment to prepare them for school success. Each class climate will assure individualized learning that supports diversity, curiosity and self-regulation. The children in the Pre-K programs play, create, explore, learn and succeed. The Pre-K programs are aligned to meet and exceed the ten Quality Indicator Benchmarks as defined by the National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER). The curriculum used is research-based and aligned with state and national standards. The program requirements are built on the premise that to be successful academically in school, children need to be prepared in all five of the following developmental domains:
- Approach to play and learning
- Emotional and social development
- Health and physical development
- Language development and communication
- Cognitive development
2018 - 2019 Mandatory Pre-K Parent Orientation Dates/Times
Below are the dates for Mandatory Pre-K Parent Orientation. If you are unable to attend at your home school and would like to schedule to attend at an alternate site, please contact the school readiness office.
- Monday, April 30, 2018 (5:30 p.m.)
- AAA; ASFL; Farley; Jones Valley, Lakewood, Sonnie Hereford; Weatherly; Williams
- Tuesday, May 1, 2018 (5:30 p.m.)
- Chaffee; Challenger; McDonnell; Montview; Morris; Ridgecrest; Whitesburg
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018 (5:30 p.m.)
- Chapman; Goldsmith; MLK; Monte Sano; Providence
- Thursday, May 3, 2018 (5:30 p.m.)
- Blossomwood; Dawson; Hampton Cove; Highlands; Mt. Gap; Rolling Hills
Pre-K "Meet the Teacher"
If your child has already been fully accepted into a Huntsville City Schools Pre-K Program, please contact the school for information about "Meet the Teacher."
Questions? Visit our FAQ page
Raise Smarter, Happier Babies
It’s never too early for education to begin! The LENA Start™ program uses the LENA System to help parents of infants and toddlers (0-30 months) close the "talk gap" to build their babies' brains, improve their social and emotional well-being, and help prepare them for school and for life.
To complete an application for LENA Start, please click here.
School Readiness Director: